Castle Toward was built for Kirkman Finlay in 1820. Finlay was MP for Glasgow from 1812 to 1818 and later Lord Provost of the City. The architect was David Hamilton, known as “the father of Glasgow architecture”, whose work at Royal Exchange and Nelson Monument are still in existence today. The estate was originally 7000 acres in size.
Castle Toward stayed in the Finlay family until 1919 (passed down over several generations) until sold by Major Ian Archibald Finlay The estate was bought by Major Andrew Coats of the wealthy Paisley thread-making family.
Major and Mrs Coats enlarged the Castle by adding a wing on either side of the original building. They also did a huge amount of work to the grounds.
Castle Toward Mansion House
Kirkman Finlay 1831-1851
by Robert Charles Bell, after John Graham-Gilbert line engraving,
1831-1851 by John Graham-Gilbert
This image licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.Based on a work at